Geocaching FAQ. Please let me know if there is anything missing or we have missed out on. New questions being added daily.
Playing the game
How is the game played?
At its simplest level, geocaching requires these eight steps:
- Register for a free Basic Membership on Geocaching.com
- Visit the “Hide & Seek a Cache” page.
- Enter your postal code and click “search.”
- Choose any geocache from the list and click on its name.
- Enter the coordinates of the geocache into your GPS Device.
- Use your GPS Device to assist you in finding the hidden geocache.
- Sign the logbook and return the geocache to its original location.
- Share your geocaching stories and photos online.
What are the rules?
- If you take something from the geocache (or “cache”), leave something of equal or greater value.
- Write about your find in the cache logbook.
- Log your experience at www.geocaching.com.
Are there any decent apps for the BlackBerry other than Cachesense? It takes forever to get a GPS lock.
General consensus is no. Cachesense is commonly thought to be the best App available. Unfortunately, the hardware of the Blackberries do mean getting your initial GPS lock can take some time.
Does a cache have to have a log sheet?
All new caches must have a logbook/sheet… unless they an Earthcache, a Lab Cache or any type of Event Cache. There are older cache types – Virtual and Web-cam Caches that also do not have log book.
My cache has had 2 dnfs today, how do I leave a note on the cache log to let people know I’m going to check on it and replace if needed.
Click “Log a new visit” then on pull down list click “Write note” then say something like “I will check this in a couple of days”
When you have checked it, do the same but click on “Owner Maintenance”